About Wigan & Leigh College
We have been providing quality education and training
for the people of Wigan and beyond since 1857. We offer exceptional teaching, support
and guidance in a range of academic, vocational, technical and apprenticeship
We offer significant progression routes alongside key employability skills, preparing you for life after college.
Our strong partnerships with employers help us to prepare young people for success in further studies and careers.
Our reputation for providing first-rate technical education has led to us becoming the lead further education partner of the Greater Manchester Institute of Technology (GMIoT) – the government’s latest flagship programme to boost technical education regionally.
We are the only general further education college in both Wigan and in Leigh. Each year, more than 14,000 people choose to study with us, and their needs are at the heart of everything we do.
We continue to invest in, and expand our learning centres across Wigan and in Leigh, to provide top of the range facilities, resources and learning environments.
In Wigan we are based in the town centre at:
- Parsons Walk Centre
- Centre of Advanced Technical Studies
- Pagefield Centre (Centre of Excellence in Engineering & Construction)
In Leigh we are at close to the town centre at:
- Leigh College
- Leigh Adult Learning Centre
We offer a range of qualifications, from entry level through to degree and professional and post-graduate study. School leavers can choose A Levels, apprenticeships or technical qualifications, such as T Levels and BTECs, all of them leading to university or degree/higher apprenticeships.
Our University Centre offers an expanding portfolio of Level 4 and 5 technical education and includes Foundation Degrees, Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs), Higher National Certificates and Diplomas, Teacher Education qualifications, as well as the opportunity to top-up to a full honours degree in just one further year of study.
Our offer at the University Centre is the perfect option for those who wish to fit higher level studies with work or family commitments, in a flexible approach, stepping on or off a range of study levels, depending on circumstances.
Why choose us?
- 100 per cent pass rate in 48 subjects for school leavers.
- Industry and career experience for every student, with prestigious companies including: the RSPCA; Network Rail; Seddon Construction Ltd; Wigan Warriors Academy; and the Wildlife Trust.
- 99 per cent A Level pass rate with 76 per cent achieving high grades.
- More than 400 students progress to university and apprenticeships each year.
- Tutors with industry sector skills teach up to university level.
- Centres of Excellence in Sport, Creative Arts, Engineering and Health & Social Care.
- Highest student achievement rates in Wigan and among the top 7 per cent nationally.
- Strong links with employers including: Electricity North West; Sellafield; Wigan Council; Scottish Power; and Kraft Heinz.
- We are a member of the Education Skills Partnership with Edge Hill University, Wigan Council and Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Strong links with the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) and Pearson Edexcel.
Did you know...
BTEC Extended Diplomas and T Levels are equivalent to A Levels.
Students with Distinction*, Distinction*, Distinction* in BTEC and Distinction* for T Levels earn the same UCAS points.